Y’all. It’s February of 2020. Like, how does that even sound?!
I’m not even going to sit here and lay out all of the excuses one could say are necessary to explain where I’ve been this last year.
I mean, truly. Between transitioning to a pescatarian diet, starting a podcast with one of my best friends, losing my grandmother, a high school best friend, another best friend and a baby cousin [yea, that many people], going on my first cruise, starting the job of my dreams, so much traveling, becoming a plant mom, and so much closer to Jesus. I honestly can’t even put it into words. — Also, my run-on sentence was totally on purpose. It’s nice to meet you. lol
I have to say, though, that even with those things and more, I feel so grounded. So much more, present. And thankfully, so much better. I used to think when people would say ‘_____ is gonna be YOUR year’, it came attached with everything I wanted to happen to come in that year. No, friend. It has grown to mean, everything that I NEED in that year is to come, and I’m so so so thankful.
For the past couple of years, I’ve found myself given a word for the year. Papa would give me the words, and I would write them, post them somewhere, and I’ve been amazed at how He’s shown those words to be true each year.
In 2020, my ‘magic’ word is: A L I G N
When I think of align, falling into place comes to mind. Actually, putting myself into place seems more appropriate. – To fall sounds coincidental, and if you’ve met me, you know, I don’t believe in coincidences. At all. Everything happens for a reason.
So when I think of the intention of align, I think of prioritizing what’s important.
- Self-care: Not just thoughtless shopping sprees or binges when my emotions are seeking to lead the way, but more so those things that I NEED. Discipline. Resting. Focusing. Learning my triggers. Taking time. Attacking the problem, head on. You catch my drift?
- Loving others better: This means checking myself more often than needing [or wanting] to quickly check others. Leaning strongly on Jesus for this one.
- Being more present: One day at a time! Existing within the moment. Walking away from my phone. Managing distractions. Those types of things.
- Less, truly is More: Decluttering my life. My phone. My closet. My mind. My stuff. Everything.
- Stop Thinking, More Doing: There’s so much that I know He’s called me to do. I’ve watched long enough and realized that the point isn’t perfection. It’s actually DOING SOMETHING. The discipline. The consistency. The little things. The mistakes. Being gentle with myself in those mistakes. Knowing that I am loved, in those mistakes. It’s a process. Jesus and my therapist truly have done a work in my life!
Align. Stop going outside of His mold. Just resting, going, and falling….into place. Trying to keep my head down. Remaining thankful for the lessons and the constant reminder of why I need Him, and putting one foot in front of the other. I’m literally taking this thing one moment at a time and just thankful to still be around to do so. You guys, it’s going to be a great year. Are you ready??
What’s your word for this year? LET YA GIRL KNOW!